Monday, June 1, 2009

holding pattern

I haven't lost any weight in four WEEKS. I have been jogging at least 4 times a week, but I think all the extra jogging is making me HUNGRY, or at least that is what I am going to use as my excuse. While we were at my sister's house I ate a movie theater sized box of candy A DAY. I don't know how exactly this happened but candy kept appearing, and I kept shoving it in my mouth. I'm not even sorry, it was delicious. I am a huge candy fan..Skittles, Twizzlers, gummy bears, whatever, I love it...give me a bag of sugar and a spoon and really I'd be happy. Teddy really only likes chocolate candy, I don't understand this.

Speaking of jogging I have been really frustrated with it lately. I have been jogging fairly frequently for about 3 months now, and I still don't really like it. I like the way I feel when I'm DONE but for a majority of the time I am actually jogging I'm pissed that it sucks, and I don't enjoy it. I find myself hating the stupid fuckers in line at the Mr. Softee truck because goddamn it I want to be in line at the Mr. Softee truck not running around in circles like some sort of sweaty douche. I don't know if I will ever like it, but I keep doing it, and that does make me proud.

*****************

Since Eli's second Birthday (which was 9.5 months ago) I have been contemplating the big 3 of toddlerhood for our family.

1. Get rid of the pacifiers
2. Potty Train
3. Big boy bed

I have been really hesitant about these things for one major reason->I LIKE TO SLEEP. I am afraid doing any one of these things is going to end up ruining my sleep.

We made a big step last week and we ordered Eli a toddler bed with the Christmas money my dad gave us over Memorial Day (yeah, that is how he rolls). The bed came on Friday and Eli was so excited Teddy put the bed together for him and he insisted on sleeping in it. So far it has actually gone better than I expected. He gets up and wanders around a lot, but honestly less than I thought he would.

The next step is potty training...I honestly have no clue where to even start. We want to try and have him potty trained before we move. The pre-school we have picked out for him wants the kids to be potty trained for the more advanced class, the remedial pee in your pants kids have to be in a different class and I don't want poor Eli to miss out on the fun stuff because he is in the pee pants class.

The pacifier...ahh I don't even know. It is really his comfort item and I sort of hate to take it away before such a big stresser for all of us...I will focus on potty training next and when that is over I'll start thinking about the pacifiers...

******************

This weekend Eli and I were chilling on the couch watching Oswald and Eli turned to me and put his hand on my check and said "you're a sweet girl."

10 comments:

Shelley said...

Oh that sweet, sweet boy. How can you take his pacifier away?!? Look at him in his big-boy bed...maybe just have him use it while he's in bed? Geez, I feel like I'm in the indulgent "Grandma" mode, lol!

Cute bed, btw.

Meg said...

I have to agree that chocolate candy is the only candy worth having. I'm sorry, that's just how I feel. I've heard that potty training boys is harder for whatever reason, but I just let my kid walk around in panties/naked for a whole day (we put pee pads on everything, and spent much time outside- nevermind the whole white trash peeing in the yard thing), and the next day, she was pretty much trained. Although keep in mind that my girl is a total genius. Obviously.

Not Your Aunt B said...

LOVE his bed! LOVE the bench at the end of it! He looks so little in it...aww.

Um, are you running FOUR POINT FIVE miles FOUR times a week? 9 MINUTE MILES? And NOT losing weight? WTF? That is some serious killer running- I'd be pissed if the weight wasn't coming off.

I am a chocolate candy only girl too pretty much.

When do y'all move? Just taking a newly potty-trained kiddo on a cross country road trip is hard. Doable though. And I would totally lie to the daycare and tell them that he is a potty trained whiz. If he has accidents I would blame it on the stress of moving, changing daycares, adjusting, etc. I never said I was honest.

Hotch Potchery said...

He looks so tiny in his big boy bed...good for you getting one of your big 3 by 3 out of the way!

I have gone up and down and up and down all May, for a total loss in 4 weeks of .8 lbs. I guess, well I know that is better than gaining, but damn.

Maybe your body is too used to your running routine...have you thought about doing some intervals or something?

creative kerfuffle said...

you're a sweet girl---omg, THAT is one of the best payoffs for being a mom. sniff sniff. i'm all verklempt now. oh, soooo precious. and him in that bed? i just want to scoop him up and smother him w/ kisses.
that blows about all that running and not losing weight. as a non-runner (obviously) i like the idea of it but i would be like you and totally hate it.
sadly i don't have any potty training advice--mine were in daycare at the time and peer pressure helped them along. honestly it seemed like one day they were in diapers then it was big boy/girl undies. as for the pacy? we made a big production of it for the girl--on her 3rd bday we told her if she gave it up she'd get a bike. (the boy had come along 3 months before so she also used getting rid of it as a way to prove she was a "big" girl and not a "baby" like him) as for the boy, we just let him keep it and he weened himself off around the 3 yr mark too.

DAVs said...

That sucks about all the running and a plateau. Here's my suggestion (because out of all the things you listed, I think I'm at least a tiny bit qualified to give assvice on this one)...do some sprints. I know it sounds like torture, but that will shake things up. And sometimes I think that best way to bust through a plateau is with interval sprints. It sucks, I know.

Steamboat is so super cute. I love his bed!

PS I love candy too. Pretty much all of it. The other day at church someone mentioned "Dots" and all I could think about was Dots. I had to get some. So I did. And then we ate them all. But I definitely prefer chocolate.

Anonymous said...

He is getting cuter and cuter! I love the red curls!!!

Okay, I am not a fan of running. I do not get it at all. It sucks. It is no fun, and it makes my body hurt. I try to fitness walk an hour a day, at least 5 days a week. I guess that does not make me a fat burning machine, but I do look forward to it, and I think it helps some... If you walked you could even take company with you...? I think it's important to like your exercise because if you don't, you will have a harder time sticking with it in the long run.

By the way, I think you look really good. You don't actually look like you need to lose any more weight. How do you feel about that idea? Please stay healthy and happy!!!

Rebecca

Penny said...

Rebecca,

Oh you are just awesome. You know I do need to lose at least another 4 lbs to be in the "healthy" BMI category, after that it is really just vanity.

WT and I tried "health walking" but we walk to slow and chat to much and I don't think I was really burning any calories...so far I like jogging the most of all the other exercises I've tried, but I think I just don't exercising to begin with...

Penny said...

Oh man could my previous comment have had more typos, I think not.

I do know the difference between to and too...if anyone is wondering.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am jealous that Eli is going to bed in the big boy bed. Simon's been in a bed for a week now and he's carrying on and screaming for an hour every night! nightmare... And I haven't said, but you look awesome! Keep up with the jogging- very inspiring!
Chrissy