Wednesday, June 10, 2009

jogging blogging, take two.

This is my second installment of jogging blogging. If you want to catch up you can read here.

I have been jogging, rain or shine for over three months. I have never gone more than one day in between running and I have done a fair amount of research over the Internet on jogging, and YET I'm still an idiot.

I'm not kidding when I say I have been jogging rain or shine. I have gone when I am sick, that month I had my period EVERY day, when I am cranky, when I don't feel like it, and when I'm tired. I have gone in the pouring rain, in the drizzle, in the driving rain and while I was on vacation. I have gone in the heat and the cold, and once again I must tell you I'm an idiot.

When I started jogging I was just using a pair of Nikes I had that I bought because they were silver and pink and PRETTY. While doing research on jogging (how often, how fast etc.) I constantly read that you should be properly fitted for running shoes, and you should change out your shoes, on average, every 300-400 miles or so. I have about 200 miles on the Nikes I am currently wearing but I wore them for months before I started jogging, and I also wear them just to walk around town. I decided that Monday while we were out and about, I would be properly fitted and I would buy some new running shoes.

We went into a specialty running store and they had treadmills set up with cameras directed at your feet. There was sign in sheet and you had to sign in and wait for it to be your turn to jog on the treadmill in front of everyone waiting (this is lunchtime in NYC there were several people waiting). I felt like a complete tool so while I was trying to decide if I was going to sign up or not I browsed around and looked at their selection of shoes. There shoes were OK, but none of them were pretty or PINK. I decided not to be fitted there and told Teddy I would try out the running store by our house instead.

Last night I was browsing around the Internet and I found a pair of running shoes that fit all my criteria: they were pink, and pretty!
I have never tried them on(!), I bought them because they are pink (!), and I have never worn this brand (!). When I'm complaining of blisters and various injuries, remind me how pretty my shoes are, and that I'm an idiot.

I also have a really embarrassing question that my friend wants me to ask you. She has been running every day in yoga pants but now that it is starting to get hot she wants to buy some shorts because the yoga pants start getting so fucking hot and stuck to her legs with sweat she feels absolutely disgusting (that is what she tells me). ANYWAY, her problem is that her thighs rub together and chafe and this is also terribly uncomfortable, is there any way to prevent this?

3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

Biking shorts (there are varying lengths so she can get the coverage she needs) or she can buy a lube at a running store (it comes in a stick like deoderant or as an oil in a dropper bottle). A cheap version is vaseline, which can leave you sticky.

Do you mind me asking what your running program is? I am tired of mine. I am impressed that you have run daily irregardless of mood or weather. That is impressive. I need that type of motivation. And how did you get to a 9 minute mile (actually less)? I can't seem to get below a 10 minute mile. Any advice would be appreciated!

creative kerfuffle said...

i love those shoes! i've never bought shoes on the web cos even if they're the right size i have to try them on. and--while i am SOOOO NOT in your, bea or hotch's league w/ this running/healthy/exercise gig the kids and i have started "exercising" in the pool. we each come up w/ different things to do--jumping jacks. in the pool. scissor kicks. in the pool. basically any moves i can remember from when my gma used to do jane fonda workouts : ) we're even jogging. in the pool. yeah, i know i'm lame, but it's a start! : ) also--no thigh rubbing in the pool. cos i'd totally have that problem if i jogged.

Hotch Potchery said...

Yeah, I have to stick with longer shorts so that they (1) don't totally ride up and (2) my thighs do not rub.

I remember running with Dad and he did the Vaseline thing. ewww.

I love the shoes, very cute. I highly recommend not wearing them for anything other than running, and letting your old running shoes be your walking around shoes.