Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Jogging Blogging, part three: Invested.


One of the reasons I decided I would start jogging is because it was "free." I laughed at this the other day when Teddy and I were in our local Fleet Feet...all the sudden my free exercises has started to get very expensive. I have now invested in running shoes, running shorts, a running headband (worthless because I think my head is either too small or too big and it always pops off), my Nike+, and special no chaffing stuff for my friend's big fat thighs. (not pictured: lots of colorful sports bras, and several pairs of yoga pants)

The reason I'm mentioning these things is because Bea recently asked me what my motivation is to keep up my running schedule. I thought about it for a while, and really right now my motivation is I spent money on this shit and I'm not going to waste it. I'm too stubborn and I would feel stupid if I spent money on expensive running shoes, and then never wore them.

I don't have a specific running schedule, I just go outside and run at least every other day. Some days I run as fast as I can for 30 minutes, some days I run slower for 45 minutes, and some days I pick a distance and I don't stop until I've run that distance. I keep doing it because I'm terrified that if I don't I will become fat again almost instantly. I have this vivid imagination of me wearing a giant flesh colored body stocking thing that is holding in all my fat. I imagine the day I stop running this thing will burst at the seams and I will instantly gain back the 50 lbs I've worked so hard to lose.

Bea also asked about how do you run faster, and the best advice I have for that is something I read on another website (I think it was about.com) and the advice was "just run faster." It feels uncomfortable and like your lungs are going to burst, but after a couple of days it actually helps increase the speed of your comfortable jog...does that make sense? For example I was running a 9 minute mile, and then for a week I ran as fast as I could for 30 minutes and I was averaging around a 7:45 mile, well then the next week when I went back to a comfortable pace I'm running about a 8:15 mile now...see?

So to wrap it all up I have some real inspirational words for you: Run even if you don't want too, just run faster, and buy some expensive shoes. There, after three months I'm a jogging guru.

4 comments:

DAVs said...

OK first of all, thanks for all your support this last agonizing week. Sorry I've been lacking in the comments.

Secondly, I am MAJORLY impressed with your speed. I never jog fast. I go long distances, but never think about varying things like that. That is awesome! An 8:15 mile is nothing to sneeze at! Yay you!

Quit making me laugh about the body stocking. OK, scratch that. Thanks for making me laugh.

Hotch Potchery said...

I still run 13 minute miles. After 6 months. And I don't think I can run much faster and live.

creative kerfuffle said...

i think i could run a mile in about....oh i don't know? two days? : )

Not Your Aunt B said...

Oh, good tips! Thank you! I am planning on using them next week- my official get back to running week! Thank you!