Monday, April 27, 2009

Jogging Blogging

My sister wrote a post today about what to do if you get really thirsty while you are running which made me think of several other questions I have about jogging/running/plopping (that is what I call what I do "plopping"). I would love for you veteran joggers and new to jogging joggers to tell me how do you solve a problem like diarrhea (oh if you knew me you would know that I'm laughing and laughing because I sing that last sentence to the tune of that song from The Sound of Music and I think about how clever I am)?

1. One day I was out jogging on a really nasty, cold, drizzly day and there was really NO ONE else out. I was running around the pier and I noticed a group of about 6 or 7 junior high kids riding BMX bikes and I really didn't think anything of it. Well, as I got around the pier towards them one of them thought it would be funny to play a game of chicken with me and ride his bike directly at me, something in my head snapped and I lunged towards him and tried to push him off his bike when he barely swerved to miss me. His buddies laughed at him and they all rode off but I looked around and there was no one else around, and I don't carry a cell phone with me while I'm jogging. Do you ladies carry your cell phones or pepper spray or anything if you are out jogging by yourself?

2. Last Thursday I got a delicious lunch of Migas. They were so good, and I ate all of them but for the rest of the day my stomach sort of blurbled and I felt a little nauseous. By that evening I felt OK and decided to go for my run. I got about 20 minutes from my house and I knew things WERE NOT GOOD. I some way knew that as long as I kept running I would be OK but I had no keys so I couldn't run home, I had to run to find where Teddy and Eli were playing and as I suspected the second I stopped BAD things started happening and I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or have diarrhea. I got the keys and started sprinting home (which FYI it seems the adrenaline of running stops the diarrhea/throw up reflex..it must have something to do with fight or flight). Anyway, I'm not sure I have a question here other than what exactly should you do if you realize that you need to use the bathroom IMMEDIATELY. I guess run home is really the only answer.

3. This Sunday I made an extremely poor decision to go jogging around 11 AM when there was absolutely no shade along the river and it was getting hotter and hotter by the minute. I had not drank very much water and I realized once I was about 15 minutes away that I was dehydrating quickly and I started to feel nauseous and panicky because I was afraid I was going to pass out, or vomit, or both. One thing about me is I can go from zero to HOLY SHIT PANIC OH MY GOD I'M DYING in about .2 seconds. The panicking about passing out was making it worse and I was so thirsty and dehydrated but they don't turn the water fountains on until after Memorial Day (yeah, I don't know) and I didn't have any money for a drink or my cell phone. Do you guys carry money or cell phones with you? What about water? Do you carry it in your hand while you run? That seems very annoying to me, and I am LOATHE to wear a fanny pack I honestly can not do it, so where the hell am I supposed to keep a cell phone or money?

HELP ME. I AM STUPID AND WILL DIE ALONE ON THE ROAD BECAUSE I HAVE NO WATER, CELL PHONE, PEPPER SPRAY, MONEY, OR IDENTIFICATION.

8 comments:

Shelley said...

I can't help you because so far I've only jogged for a few minutes at a time on the treadmill at my gym...but your last paragraph has me doubled over in laughter. Please, whatever you do, keep blogging your adventures!

Anonymous said...

this is why i "fitness walk."

i also have a subscription to Prevention Magazine, though. which means i'm like 34 going on 60...

anyway, it's probably best to always have your cell phone and some cash on you... this is easier to do you if you are walking, though...?

i try to wear sweats/shorts with pockets. i'm also planning on switching to a razor phone because it's super flat and light.

by the way, you look FANTASTIC! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Rebecca

creative kerfuffle said...

please do not jog alone and harrass tweens! sheesh, they are dangerous. trust me, i just spent three days w/ evil kids like that. i don't jog (he he, it made me laugh to even have me and jog in the same sentence) but don't they have something where you could strap on your cell and some $$? now i'm going to worry about you jogging. dammit.

Not Your Aunt B said...

I live out in the 'burbs and don't jog alone because of the stray dogs we have encountered on our runs that freak me out (we run at night usually). But, if I did jog alone, I would carry my cell phone. J just holds his in his hand when we run. There are some armbands that can hold your phone and ipod too, I think. They also have jogging belt looking things where you can put in water- maybe it would hold your cell phone too? They have these water pouch things too (think oversize ketchup bags)- maybe they're easier to carry. You can keep cash in your sock or in a shoe pocket (they lace up on your shoes like the Nike+ but it is a pocket- a house key can fit too). At the race they had a table full of all this neato running stuff but we didn't get any.

As far as the diarrhea (I loved that you sang it), I guess running home is the only option unless you know of public toilets along your route.

Hotch Potchery said...

You ask some very good questions, I hope you get some answers, because I am afraid I am going to be the super dork at Kiesel with a fucking water belt to run 2 miles.

I am scared about you lunging at those kids...that is crazy that happened.

Brandi said...

I always always always carry pepper spray with me when I'm jogging. I just don't feel safe without it. I got mine from a Christmas website. It even has a pink wrist strap. Haha...That's about as cute as pepper spray can be, I guess.

DAVs said...

Oh there's a story to tell about running and the runs. But I would have to kill Leebot if he ever told.

I don't run with a cell phone. Probably because we live in Lakeway which is the old people capital of the world, and the most damage they can cause is if I had a low speed collision with a monstrous Cadillac. I do, however, run with a headlamp if it is anywhere approaching dusk so that those old people can see me coming. We don't many sidewalks out in retiree-ville. OK, so our town is 50/50 young couples with families and retirees. But still.

But I definitely run with water! There is no way around that. I just hold onto, a small little bottle (one of those single serving OJ bottles that I just keep reusing, and probably the plastic toxins that are leeching into my water that I guzzle is causing my infertility, but I digress.)

Sorry for the long comment.

Anonymous said...

So I realize this is a way old topic. . . BUT I just had to share with you my own weird run in with some youth on bikes.
I was jogging along minding my own business as I entered one of those under the road passageways, when a group of 3 boys came peddling from the other direction. (I'm one of those keep to yourself and stare 2 inches in front of you joggers so) I don't know why I even looked up but the first kid promptly "BARK"-ed at me as he went past.
(-,-)~~~~?
I was tempted to turn around and shove a stick through his front tire.
\ (>,<) /