Monday, May 4, 2009

May is for Me!

A year ago I started a weight loss journey and to date I have almost lost 50 lbs (48 lbs as of today). In celebration of sticking to my new healthy way of living I am having a month about ME (oh, who am kidding, in my life EVERY month is about me!).

This month I am going to have a manicure and pedicure, a spa facial, I'm going to dye my hair (nothing dramatic just a bit redder), and have a nice cut, and I'm also thinking of having something waxed for bathing suit season.

I'm hoping that before our trip to Alabama I will 1. be able to say "I lost 50 lbs" and 2. Wear a size 8. I was looking back at my original post that I wrote on May 15th of last year:
I am now officially the same weight I was at my 39 week OB appointment. I feel disgusting and depressed and completely UN sexy. When we started trying to conceive [Eli] it was taking longer than I anticipated so I committed to a plan of healthy living (hoping this would help the process). I quit smoking cold turkey after 12 years (I started smoking when I was 16), I ate much better, and I exercised daily. When I became pregnant I continued to eat well and exercise and I only gained 24 pounds (9.2 lbs was baby). When [Eli] was born I was actually in great shape. I weighed less than I did when we started trying to conceive him.

After[Eli's] birth I ate very little for six weeks and lost another 10 or so pounds. I was so anxious and depressed, food didn't really have much of a taste and eating would end up making me feel nauseous. While I was on maternity leave I walked every day because [Eli] was not a good sleeper but would sleep in his stroller. Then I started taking medication for the postpartum depression and I returned to work, and food became my friend again.

Once I returned to work I had started feeling much better and because I had lost so much weight I had given myself permission to eat anything I wanted. I also quit exercising daily around this time because with work, an infant, and winter approaching it was hard to get outside everyday (plus I probably naturally tend towards the lazy side when it comes to exercising). I have never been a gym person so all of my "workouts" have been outside activity.

I also think I was angry with my body and I quit taking care of it. When we were trying to conceive, I wanted my body to be in the best shape possible. During my postpartum period I felt like my body had failed me and I quit taking care of it. My body produced a baby that was literally too big to come out the traditional way, the postpartum depression completely kicked my ass, and breastfeeding didn't work out and that is something I am still upset about.

Now that we are considering kid #2 I think I need to get back in shape and lose at least 20 pounds before we start trying to conceive again. I am too embarrassed to post my weight here, but I think I will start posting updates on my weight loss. I think I'll also take some before pictures and maybe if I get the balls I'll post those.

A couple things about the post that really struck me is that I really thought I ONLY needed to lose 20 lbs...ha ha ha ha ha, and seriously even after 48 lbs I still think I could stand to lose another 10. The other thing is we are still pretty much at the same point with kid #2. I am so interested in people who just KNOW they want more kids....I'm just so overwhelmed with the one I have I don't know how you moms do it!

In the interest of full disclosure I was 191 lbs when I posted that day, that was the same weight I was when I was NINE MONTHS PREGNANT with Eli. I am 138 lbs as of today. I know that I have technically lost MORE than 50 lbs (53 to be exact) but I use my starting weight as the weight I was when I started Weight Watchers (186).

Anyway, now that I over shared what's up with you?

5 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

That is amazing! What is really bizarre, is I will feel so super skinny when I get to your BEGINNING weight, so I am so proud of you for starting before it got extremely out of control!

I weighed 100kg the day my second was born, and I am still not even close to that!

I bet you will rock those size 8's at the big show!

DAVs said...

It's so cool to have those earlier posts on which to reflect. You have really come SO FAR!!

I'm trying to motivate myself to get healthier, too. I totally hear you on the 'body failing' thing so you don't really want to take care of it. It's a hard position to be in.

You should be so completely proud of yourself and I love the idea of all those self indulgent treats, so well deserved.

Shelley said...

You have come a long way in one year! Love the idea of having a "ME" month - every mother of a young child DESERVES that! Congrats on your weight loss...funny, but your weight now is right around where I would like to end up at...perspective, it's a funny thing!

creative kerfuffle said...

you are amazing! really, you've come so far! congratulations. you've put a lot of hard work and effort into it--you deserve a ME month : )

Not Your Aunt B said...

That is awesome. Really. 50 lbs. (or 48 lbs.) is a lot of weight to lose and you have done it without cutting any shortcuts. You deserve a ME month. Mani/pedi, haircut and color- how fun! You should be very proud and happy!