Thursday, March 19, 2009

Our house

If you read my sister's blog you may already know that Teddy and I signed a lease for a house in Alabama. Our move in date is 08/13/09. Yes you read that right, it is FIVE months from now. I don't know what is wrong with me and why I can't chill the fuck out.

I was thinking about it the other day and every place that Teddy and I have lived, is because I freaked out and signed a lease at the very first place I looked at because I can't stand the stress. I had been doing pretty good and trying to be zen and happy about our move and then all the sudden on Tuesday I saw an ad for somewhere that I thought could be good for us. I called the real estate place and they said it may or may not still be available by the time Teddy and I are in Alabama in May (we are going for our nephew's high school graduation and agreed that while we were there we would look at houses and sign a lease). The real estate agency gave me the phone number of the person that lives there and when I called she made a point to tell me about how much she LOVED the house and neighborhood and that another couple was coming to look at the house THAT DAY.

I HATED the thought of some stupid horrible people living in my perfect, wonderful house so I called the real estate agency back and essentially promised to sign a lease, sight unseen, just so some strangers couldn't have it ( that is essentially how we ended up in the apartment we have now too, so on top of everything else I also have a tendency to act like a greedy child). My sister was kind enough to go over there and take a look and take some pictures for us, so at least I know I'm not living in a complete dump. There are several things I REALLY like about the place. The location is awesome, it has a great yard, and the living room and bedrooms are nice. The things that are completely driving me batshit crazy are the bathrooms and kitchen are totally hideous. The kitchen is covered in wood paneling: HATE. The bathrooms have PINK tile, and one bathroom has a BLUE toilet.

I am now obsessing over the things I don't like. I'm convinced my family will be unhappy because they have to poop on an ugly blue toilet. Our lives are now ruined because I don't like wood paneling. I have realized that part (one tiny little piece of the crazy) of my problem is I'm always convinced that there will be nothing else on the horizon so I have to jump on/rent/work/marry whatever the first thing is that was offered to me. I'm only partly kidding about that too. In the NYC metropolitan area the mindset is the complete opposite, there is ALWAYS something better coming along so you should never settle on your current job/home/spouse. When I finished grad school I took the very first job offered to me (that I didn't even really want, and that I still have) because I was afraid nothing else would come along.

Ever since I signed the lease yesterday I have had an upset stomach and I'm feeling guilty for once again subjecting my husband and child to my crazy whims. I'm also annoyed with myself because even though I KNOW wood paneling and blue toilets aren't the end of the world I can't help but have this little nagging feeling like maybe they are a little bit...

5 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i think the blue toilet sounds cool actually : ) it's unusual, not just boring white! and paneling, yeah, i hate that too. on the silver lining side--you will be near your sis, have a great yard for steamboat to play in and you now know you have some where to live instead of being on the street, or living on hotch's boat or something : )

DAVs said...

Tracy, this post made me laugh out loud. Now, I am not laughing AT you. But your wording is pretty funny--pooping on a blue toilet?? We have a hideous blue bathroom, in fact, when we moved out here our entire house was painted blue. EVERYTHING, even the light switch covers. Like someone just went crazy with a pain sprayer and couldn't be bothered to tape anything off. At any rate, we also had paneling. We repainted everything and covered the paneling. We still have a hideous blue tiled bathroom but oh well. There is time for that later.
The house sounds adorable (per HP)--you guys need to post pics!--and location and yard are big deals!
How can August 2009 be only five months away? Wasn't it just like, 2007??

Hotch Potchery said...

In any given day, how many hours do you spend on a toilet, in a shower, or cooking food?

You want to worry, I get that, I like to worry too. But instead of the bathrooms (which admittedly are hideous, although the pink tank lid on the blue toilet sort of rocks), why don't you worry about how I am going to kick your ass at knitting, jam making and other housewifey things that we will compete at. oh and kickball. You are so getting crushed at kickball.

Hotch Potchery said...

In all seriousness...do you think that since you signed the lease you know you are actually moving to Alabama...it isn't abstract anymore?

Not Your Aunt B said...

I think the blue toilet will be motivating. If you hate it, you WILL want to POOP in it. And not sit on it too long, which would help in my house because J spends way too much time in there.
My answer to the wood paneling in the kitchen...eat out. A lot.
Sounds win-win to me! ;P