Monday, November 23, 2009

uninvited

I have been looking forward to this year's Thanksgiving for a year now. We are hosting Thanksgiving at our house and even though both of my parents will be in attendance, I was looking forward to it anyway. I have been planning my menu and my table decorations for at least a month and I couldn't wait for everyone to gather around my table and eat dinner.

I am now cranky and pouting about Thanksgiving because according to a text I got from my sister my dad has invited his girlfriend to attend as well. Honestly, I have nothing against his girlfriend, she seems fine, BUT she is only a couple of years older than my sister and MY MOTHER is going to be at dinner too. It just really bugs me that I didn't invite her and yet he took it upon himself to invite her along. It just is going to be awkward on so many levels...

The thing about my dad that just drives me nuts he always invites his girlfriends along to family celebrations. He insists we include them, and in some ways I get it..but since I have been in college there has been one fiance, one wife, and at least 3 different girlfriends. I just hate looking back over family photos and you can tell what year it is dependent on which woman is in the photo.

It is just really sucking the joy out of my preparations and it is making it hard to be "thankful." On top of that I've been in a crummy mood because...here is a shocker for you....life isn't fair!

It will all work out, and it will all be FINE, but I today I feel bloated, and headachey, and ugly and fat and moody and weepy and I actually watched a Lifetime movie last night and I have cramps...I think I must have a disease...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

im sorry you have to deal with this. i get that your dad wants you to hang out with his buddy but i really dont think boyfriends/girlfriends should be thrown into the mix unless its certain they are going to be around for the long haul. it shouldnt be a guessing game as to who is coming to thanksgiving dinner.

of course keep in mind my comment was written by someone who's mom and moms boyfriend(of six months!) live with her. try to make the best of thanksgiving. i'll be inebriated.

creative kerfuffle said...

i feel for you. while we don't have the FIL's wife in our face daily (since they live in ok) it is incredibly hard to swallow the fact that he's married to his dead wife's sister. shortly after they were married he had the balls to tell the hubs our kids could call her grandma! as if.
i watched nights in rodanthe today and cried. it must be going around.

Shelley said...

I know what you mean - my uncle was always bringing his girlfriends to our family Thanksgiving and Christmases - in fact, I was looking as some old Christmas morning pictures (my kids were 2 and 4; now 20 and 22) and there is a lady in some of them that I can't for the life of me remember her name. What I want to know is why did she come - doesn't she have family? I know, very mean-spirited of me, right?

Enjoy your day anyway. Maybe the girlfriend will pitch in with the clean up!

kilax said...

I was just talking to a coworker about unvited guests this morning... it's never right. It's always stressful and too much on the host. We've had it happen to us, and it sucks the joy out. It's okay to be bummed. I hope you still have a good time.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Ugh. I hope you still have a good time and that everyone appreciates all the effort you've put into it. I have made my mom promise not to divorce my dad or kill him first if she thinks her death is imminent because he would be intolerable otherwise. I can see him trying to do this if he was single. Wine. Lots of wine. Maybe starting today would be good.

Anonymous said...

Can you secretly set up a video camera to record Thanksgiving dinner so we can enjoy any potential bizarre-ness or blow ups?

Meg said...

On the other hand, my dad has never met any of my 3 kids because he doesn't want to leave his dog. Seriously. And I'm with you on the Lifetime movies. A couple of nights ago I watched Holiday in Handcuffs on the Hallmark channel, and it was every bit as award-winning as it sounds. Ugh- the holidays. Where's my tumbler of wine?

Hotch Potchery said...

I still don't think she will show up...I will let you know as soon as I know tomorrow. They are supposed to be here by 3 to set up the back deck for the fire pit.

We shall see.