Thursday, July 9, 2009

Naming names

I love names and how people came up with the names they call their kids, or their pets, or their plants whatever. I name everything. If I have fish I name all of them, if we find a snail in the backyard we name it, if we see a particularly cute squirrel we give it a name.

When we were naming our son we really wanted a name that was original, but not too original...nothing like Pilot Inspektor or Jermajesty...Teddy and I both have fairly plain first names that neither one of us particularly liked growing up. I wanted a more original name and Teddy wanted a name that was easier to pronounce (Teddy's real name is not Teddy). It is interesting to me because today I was reading a post by a person with an original name and she was saying she always wanted a name you could find on one of those bicycle license plates, I always wished I had a name that was so original you wouldn't be able to get one of those things.

Anyway, when we were trying to pick out first names for our son we could not agree on anything, every name just sounded too plain and it just.wasn't. right. We ended up annoying everyone by giving our son Teddy's last name as his first name and my last name as his last name. Got it? So let's say Teddy's name is Teddy Smith and my name is Penny InExile our son's name is Smith InExile. So not only do I not have my husband's last name but our son has my last name. I know, we are weird. Here in the very blue, very liberal NJ no one really cares and they think it is "cool" when we explain it to them...I'm not sure how well this is going to go over in Alabama.

When we were naming our son we were SURE, and I mean ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE we did not want any more kids so we never considered sibling names. Now that we think we MIGHT, MAYBE, KIND OF want another one we have a naming dilemma. Whose last name do they get? Teddy seems to think they should share a last name (mine) but I don't really care, I mean I don't have the same last name as my sister, but I still understand we are related. And what are we supposed to give them as a first name when our other kid had Teddy's last name as his first name...

I'm thinking if I ever get pregnant with a second child I might ask Swistle for her advice...

5 comments:

Shelley said...

I've heard of giving the baby the mother's maiden name, but I like your twist on it!

Hotch Potchery said...

If you have a girl, or I guess even a boy, I think you should do the reverse. InExile Smith has a pretty good ring to it!

I also always love Swistly names.

And, I don't think people will have as big of problem as you think...lots of divorces here...they won't think you are quirky, just divorced.

Not Your Aunt B said...

I think you'll find a perfect name. It will all depend on what names you like and what sounds good. It does take forever to choose one though!

Ashley said...

Why don't you make everyone more confused and just reverse the names for the next kid? I think that could work.

DAVs said...

Oh duh. That was me DAVS above. I have too many freaking google accounts now.