Friday, July 17, 2009

Lord, I'm coming home to you

One of the reasons Teddy and I were skeptical about moving back to Alabama is the religious zealots. It is pretty typical that immediately after you introduce yourself to someone they will ask you where you go to church. If you say "no where" they seem confused, and a lot of times will offer to take you to church with them ( or this has been my experience, maybe I just look like I need some church). People asking curious questions doesn't really bother me, but it is the judgement and trying to "save" me that bothers me. If you go to church that is fine with me, great with me actually, and I have no intention of asking you to stop going, so don't ask me to start.

On the drive to Birmingham there is a billboard stating "go to church or the devil will get you!" I actually have a t-shirt with this sign on it because I think it is so ridiculous, but unfortunately most folks don't think it is ridiculous, they thing it is REAL.

I was really surprised this morning when I was browsing the news that Alabama allowed a billboard to go up supporting Atheists and Agnostics. Now my guess is that before too long people will complain (they already started) and the billboard will be taken down, but to me it seems like progress.

Christian organizations are complaining that the billboard is "offensive." I don't really think it is offensive but it happens to support my way of thinking...what do you think?

Edited to add:
When I went back and was reading the article about the "Imagine no Religion" billboard again, I saw a link to another article about another religious billboard in Alabama.

Uhh, I'm sorry but I think that is creepy. Alabama is weird.

10 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

it's all about freedom of speech in my opinion. if they can have the go to church or your going to hell propaganda they should also allow the don't go to church signs. i'm of the mind to let everyone do their own thing--regardless of what it is--so long as they don't try to get me to drink their kook aid (i mean KOOL aid).

DAVs said...

Yowza those are some funny signs!

Why can't people just live and let live? Geez.

Maybe you are just what Alabama needs!

Shelley said...

When we moved to Texas from California we got the "what church do you go to" question, followed by our blank stare...the second time we moved, to an even smaller town in Texas, neighbors offered to take us to their churches - it was like they were all in competition to see who could "land" the newcomers. Eventually they figured out that we are non-churchgoing pagans and left us alone. But it is a really big deal in the South - so weird, and so important, to these people!

wahoostampingirl said...

This post was just too funny. I lived in Sylacauga, AL (about 30 miles East of B-ham) for a year and my dh and I used to joke that there was a church on every corner. At the time, there were 50 churches in a town that had a few thousand people.

My neighbor, who was also my landlord, took me to a Christian Ladies Luncheon and fashion show at the local country club one day and all the ladies were very polite to me, but I think secretly shocked that we didn't go to church.

Penny said...

ahoostampingirl,
I'm pretty sure the "Go to church or the devil will get you" billboard is pretty close to Sylacauga....I remember it being somewhere close to Birmingham....

Not Your Aunt B said...

Welcome to the deep South. Sigh. We get the same thing even though we do go to church. Apparently if you are not Baptist or Catholic it is like you have no religion.

Penny said...

Bea! That's so true! My parents were Catholic and we went to the Catholic church when I was in elementary school, in that town (Southern Alabama) Baptist was the big religion and I remember my sixth grade teacher offering to take me to her Sunday school at the Baptist church when I told her I was Catholic...

Alabama isn't real strict about the whole seperation of church and state...

DAVs said...

I came back to this post to read others' comments and I have to agree with Bea...we're Methodist which is known as probably the most liberal Christian church out there...and so we get looks too. You know, cuz a Liberal Christian is an oxymoron.

Penny said...

Yeah, you guys have a point...sometimes it isn't religion VS no religion, it is about being in the "right" religion...

Hotch Potchery said...

yeah. worst thing about living here. hate all the religion crap.

I don't think the sign is offensive in ANY way...just says, hey imagine if there wasn't religion and we could all just hold hands and sing songs and be friends?

I don't like the God sex thing...