Friday, July 24, 2009

Is it something I said?

I do not like to talk on the phone. OK that is not entirely true, I like to chat on the phone (really only with my sister) but I do not like to call to order food or ask questions or anything like that. I would say it is a bordering on a phobia and if I know I have to make a lot of phone calls I will start getting anxious and try to put it off, or find someone else to make the calls for me.

Moving has included A LOT of phone calls. WAY to much for my taste, and although there are a lot of things you can complete online, there are still lots of things you have to call for like, movers, utility companies etc. I was telling Teddy yesterday that these past several days where I have been forced to make lots of phone calls have really been stressing me out but most of all I feel like people on the other end of the phone just don't GET me. I seem to be having a lot of misunderstandings with people, and I feel like people on the other end of the phone are getting annoyed with me, which in makes me annoyed at them.

Case in point, (is that how you use that?), yesterday I was calling some movers about unloading the moving truck for me. The lady wanted to know a "detailed inventory" of all our stuff. I became a little flustered because I thought surely they don't want me to list everything I own. Well I was wrong. I was becoming agitated because I am paying you BY THE HOUR just come get my goddamn stuff and fucking move it and the more stuff I have the more money you get. I just kept saying "uh, I don't know we have the regular amount of stuff" then we had the following conversation:

Annoying southern girl: Do you have any dressers?
Me: yes, we have two
ASG: Do you have any chest of drawers?
Me: Oh, wait...what is the difference between a dresser and a chest of drawers?
ASG: Sigh. A dresser usually has a mirror on top of it
Me: oh, OK then I have two chest of drawers
ASG: How many beds do you have?
Me: One queen sized bed and a toddler bed
ASG: oh, so one queen bed and a twin bed?
Me: No. A queen bed and a toddler bed, it is smaller than a twin bed it just fits a crib mattress
ASG: Oh well I have never heard of that (I GUESS IMPLYING THAT I MADE IT UP)

She continues to go through all household items and then starts asking about outdoor stuff.

ASG: Do you have any patio furniture?
Me: No. We live in a two bedroom apartment, we have no outdoor stuff and no garage.
ASG: So do you have a grill?
Me: NO. we don't have ANY outdoor stuff AT ALL
ASG: So, do you have a lawnmower
Me: Sigh. No.

then

ASG: How many boxes will you have
Me: Uhh I have no idea, is there an average amount?
ASG: No. Not really.
Me: Umm ok what do other people say?
ASG: I don't know
Me: do people usually know how many boxes they will have, because I'm not done packing.
ASG: yes
Me: Oh OK then I don't know I'll just say 50
ASG: OK well average amount is probably 60
Me: WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY THAT?
ASG: I did.

Anyway, needless to say when I got off the phone from that conversation I was annoyed and I keep wondering if it is just ME?

Today I got a call from the bank I'm getting my car loan from and they were annoyed at me because they say I told them I wanted to title the car in NJ but the dealer was telling them I want to title the car in AL. I said that is correct, I want to title the car in Alabama and the lady was MAD because she swore I told her I wanted to title it in NJ. Why would I have ever said that?

I am actually a very polite person, I do not have any kind of accent, I speak proper English, I don't get it, why can't anyone understand me?

8 comments:

DAVs said...

Leebot HATES making phone calls too. Last night I needed him to activate a new credit card and he didn't even want to call the toll free number because he HATES to talk to credit card people, so he did it on line.

That moving lady was wackadoodle, not you.

Shelley said...

They should just be grateful that you are dealing with them by phone because in person you might just be driven to pop a cap in one of them, yo!

wahoostampingirl said...

I hate talking on the phone too and my dh just doesn't get it. But, I always seem to have the problem with people not understanding me too.

Moving companies are just crazy. For our move to AL, the moving company sent an estimator who totally got it wrong. The truck arrived about 6 hours late on our moving day and it was already half full. Well we needed to get all of our stuff on there, PLUS our car! And there was only the one guy to pack the truck. It was a nightmare. Our move back to VA went much more smoothly, so I have my fingers crossed for a great move for you.

Hotch Potchery said...

We get to the point that we ARGUE over who is going to call to order any takeout...we all hate it that much.

The Merry said...

And I thought having a horde of arguing brothers helping was a bad way to have to move. Yikes!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Because they are douches. Seriously. I get so frustrated on the phone with some people, but you can hear my sarcasm on the phone and that is not good. I make J handle the toughies.

creative kerfuffle said...

i left a comment earlier and apparantly blogger didn't like it. i also hate talking on the phone, and yet this duty also falls to me as the hubs hates it even worse.
i can't believe that woman made a distinction between dresser and chest of drawers but had never heard of a toddler bed. what a douche canoe.

Swistle said...

This is EXACTLY why I hate talking on the phone. Because this kind of unbelievably stressful stuff KEEPS HAPPENING. Like, EVERY CALL. I even consulted a psychologist about it once, and he was trying to persuade me that these things DID NOT HAPPEN---that I was just IMAGINING they MIGHT happen and THAT'S why I was irrationally fearful.