Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bad Carma

I have bad Carma. That is bad luck with cars. I swear a huge part of the reason we moved to NJ was because I thought it would be so charming and fun to not have a car, and it was in a lot of ways. When we decided to move back I was excited about the prospect of buying my first new car, and getting to pick out WHATEVER I wanted. I did research and I picked a pretty color and I got a loan and put a down payment down and although I love my Olive (the car's name) it has turned out to be a huge pain in the ass.

Let me back up and tell you my history with cars. When we moved to NJ I had already been through 3 of them. The first was a Dodge Shadow that was totaled when someone rear ended me (ha ha ha) on a bridge. The second was a convertible Dodge Shadow that had the rag top slashed 1x for just jerky vandalism and 1x to steal the car radio. The same car had all four tires slashed by a jerk who I broke up with, and I ran into my mother's car and my friend's car with it, and it ended up breaking down on a lonely country road and Teddy and I had to walk about a mile to a pay phone and call my dad and then wait about 2 hours on the side of the road for him to come get us. After that my in laws lent us their Celebrity which was an old white station wagon that I kinda liked. That car was totalled when someone T-Boned me (ha ha ha) after running a red light. ANNNNNNNNNNNNNDddd then we moved and I swore off cars.

In August when we bought our new car I thought that surely my luck must be better and that having a NEW car would solve a lot of our problems. Well I was WRONG. Since we got the car, Teddy has gotten a speeding ticket, a squirrel chewed through the transmission harness and I got to pay almost 900$ to have it fixed (our insurance did reimburse us 400$), and then yesterday a nice lady in a gigantic SUV ran into my car in a parking lot. It wasn't bad enough to report, just a small black smudge from her bumper and a tiny dent, but it was still my BEAUTIFUL NEW CAR. The lady felt so bad, and she was really nice because she waited around for me for about 45 minutes until I came back to my car....but still.

I have a weird thing about thinking things ALWAYS happen in threes. If something bad happens I find myself being anxious just KNOWING that two more bad things are going to happen. The other day I broke my watch when I was taking it off, and then later that day the button ripped off my coat and I JUST KNEW something else was going to break. The next day I accidentally broke the handle off my coffee mug and Teddy said "hey! it's the third thing!" and I was so relieved because it wasn't something I really cared about.

Anyway, all that was just to say that I am really hoping that the third thing has passed and now I can get over my bad Carma.

3 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

OH NO, not on baby Olive!

I feel like we have bad car luck as well which is why I am so hesitant to get a new one. Or another one.

Shelley said...

Ouch, I hate it when new cars get their first ding. Can't believe that lady waited for you - that is really amazing.

Hopefully you will have nothing but good Carma from now on - and yes, I also believe that bad things happen in threes, so you are done!

lastchanceivf said...

One time Mr. LC was following me and he rear-ended me (hee hee) when some crazy trailer hauling a boat pulled out right in front me and I braked hard and Mr. LC's brakes locked up and anyway, that was some pretty crappy bad car luck, getting into a wreck with your husband.

At any rate, I'm glad that woman waited around. Usually I wouldn't expect that much from a giant SUV driver :)