Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve Eve

Kitchen timer. I did not have one, and I think this one is super cool and retro looking. The kid on the right is my kid, the kid on the left came with the frame.
These bowls are tiny, I know you can't tell that but they are super cute and tiny and I want to be a person that cooks and puts my spices in these tiny bowls, but I honestly don't see that happening.

I love Christmas Eve Eve. It has all the hope and excitement with out the feeling of ennui I get when the actual holiday rolls around and then I'm sad that it is almost over....I'm like that, half way through Christmas morning I typically start feeling depressed...

I'm gonna go ahead and hop on the bandwagon:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Egg Nog. Definitely. I love egg nog more than a little and I could drink a quart of it in one sitting, but then I usually get sick to my stomach...AND that is why I only let myself drink it one day a year (usually Christmas Eve).

2. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. I think gift bags are sort of lame, although I have used them because I sort of suck at wrapping gifts.

3. Real tree or artificial?
I love real trees, but this year I have a real tree and a seven foot purple artificial tree my dad bought me.

4. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored lights and the more the better. I also really like the old school big light bulb colored lights.

5. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
We like LOTS of colored lights and then all the ornaments we have collected since we got married. It is kind of a hodge podge and there is no theme or color scheme.


6. Do you hang mistletoe?
No.


7. Do you have a nativity scene?
No. I don't consider myself Christian so that is not something I have. I was telling Teddy I thought a funny thing to do would be to go around town on Christmas Eve and dress up every one's yard Nativity scenes like Santa and the Reindeer (here in Alabama there are lots of yard Nativity scenes). It would be my pretend anti-Religion statement, but I'm not actually anti-religious and I wouldn't really want to hurt any one's feelings, it was more that I thought it would be funny ( I know my sense of humor is weird).


8. Mail or email Christmas cards?
I don't like email Christmas cards, or Birthday cards...I think they are lame. Except for these:

I'm too fucking drunk to remember what you wanted


9. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Meringue cookies. I love them so much.

10. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
The year I got a Cabbage Patch doll. I remember I wanted one REALLY bad and I knew they were hard to come by. I remember opening all my presents and being really happy with what I had gotten but a little sad I hadn't gotten the doll, but my parents brought out the box last and I was so excited. (I later found out my uncle got the doll "off the back of a truck" it was New Jersey and he was involved with some bad dudes, but whatever, I got my doll)

11. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I honestly don't really remember and to this day I have never told my parents that I don't believe in Santa Clause. I think I still do, I definitely believe in the spirit of the Holidays.

12. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes, one small gift on Christmas Eve and the rest of the gifts Christmas morning.

13. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I would say both, before I had a kid I really liked bundling up and snuggling inside. Then I had a kid who needs fresh air and exercise and staying in for days because the snow is a disgusting soggy mess is no fun, and trying to push a stroller over the giant mountains where the snow plows shoved all the snow sucks!

14. Have you ever recycled a gift?
Honestly, I don't think so unless I have specifically said "Hey, I got this gift I don't like. Do you want it?"

15. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
I like the spirit of giving. We try to give to charities during this time of year and teach our son about doing things for people less fortunate. I also like presents.

16. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

chocolate chip meringue cookies

17. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
listening to Christmas music and drinking egg nog on Christmas Eve.

18. What tops your tree?
I have never found anything I really like. Although I really want her cool retro star!

19. Favorite Christmas Show?
Elf.


20. Saddest Christmas Song?
I'm not sure it is actually a "Christmas" song but that song Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. They play it ALL the time around the Holidays and it is depressing.

21. What is your favorite Christmas Holiday Song?
Mmm that is hard to say. I love the Charlie Brown Christmas CD and the Elf CD. We start listening to Christmas music on Thanksgiving and I'm always sad when it is over.

6 comments:

DAVs said...

Yup, we've got a lot of similarities.

I got that star at Pottery Barn of all places. Ick, I usually don't like P Barn anymore, although I used to adore it.

And I loved my Cabbage Patch doll too! The year my parents got ours, they waited in a line for something like eight hours, and then there was one girl doll and one boy doll. Somehow my sister got the beautiful long haired girl doll, and my doll had short hair and overalls on and my Mom convinced me it was a girl doll too, because her birth certificate said Kelley. But it was totally a boy Kelly and she knew it. Still, I changed the name officially (you know, got the new birth certificate and all) to Elizabeth.

Ok sorry for the Cabbage Patch memory :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my god penny i love you!!!!! can i tell you how much i love same old lang syne!?!?!?! love it love it love it. whenever i hear that song i stop what im doing and listen. its so beautiful and the story it tells is just insanely sad. oh. sigh. ive tried listening to it at other times of the year though, and its just not the same.

ok i think i geeked out enough.

i want to be a small bowl person too but its never worked out.

cool timer.

Shelley said...

That timer is great! I will be sad when your advent calendar comes to an end for the year. Your husband has come up with some great gifts!

Anonymous said...

I agree that Xmas Eve is better than Xmas Day.

Also, that timer is awesome!!

Merry Christmas Eve!

Hotch Potchery said...

Love the timer and the tiny bowls! I like your list!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Now I am going to have to have some chocolate chip meringue cookies (I love the plain ones too)! And We play the Charlie Brown Christmas CD and Doc Severinsen CD round the clock after Thanksgiving.