Wednesday, August 5, 2009

mean people suck

There are a lot of things I will miss about NYC but to be quite honest, the people are not one of them. I lived mostly in small towns growing up and people are polite, they hold the door for you even if they have to wait an awkwardly long time, they say hello, they wave when they drive past...just generally friendly.

I will say in my experience a lot of the people around here are douche bags (obviously a lot are not). I actually yelled at a pregnant woman today in Union Square because she was such a bitch, and honestly that isn't like me, I'm pretty polite. Here is my take on the NYC culture: people (of course I am generalizing here) think they are all super special snowflakes, and YOU are in the way of their most special snowflakedom so you must be KILLED or SHOVED OUT OF THE WAY so they can get whatever they want.

I told Teddy today that I think New Yorkers are the rudest people in America. Now, there is A LOT of America I have not been to, and yet I'm comfortable making this statement.

DISCLAIMER: I totally get that not all people in NYC suck, I'm just saying in my lifetime I have seen and dealt with more crazy assholes in NYC than anywhere else on earth. OH and here is another generalization I'm going to make, people in NYC stink. I know, I know I'm terrible, but let me tell you NYC in the summer is really not that awesome. It is hot and you walk down the street and the nasty air conditioner water drips on your head, and you can smell the cooking garbage on the sidewalk. People go from the hot sidewalk to the even hotter subway station and then the inevitable starts to happen and they get a little ripe. It really is a very smelly city.

(for a completely different take on the city, you can go read my sister's post)

3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

Mean people do suck. It sucks to be the undeserving target of someone's anger/stress/horrible personality.

Ashley said...

Ahh yes, stinky NYers in the summer. We got but a glimpse (sniff?) of this at our April visit when it was hot on the subway platforms plus it had been raining and people were damp and dank.
I'm sorry people are rude!
You're almost outta there!

creative kerfuffle said...

mean people do suck, and i do agree that nyc has its fair share of them, but dude--those mean people have infiltrated the whole damn county. we have them, here, in nc. srsly. and i live in a small town. however, i'm rarely in close proximity to them so i don't smell them.