Thursday, July 16, 2009

it seems important at the time

I stayed up for HOURS last night worrying...You know what I spent hours of my precious life worrying about? License plates. Yes. License plates, like for cars. The week before I stayed up for hours worrying about...dog crates. Yup, those cages you buy for your dog. I needed to get one.

I got the crate, so I thought my worrying could stop, but then it came and it might be too big, and I spent 80$ on it. Then I made Teddy go around and measure other people's cars ON THE STREET in front of strangers walking by on the crowded sidewalk. I made our whole family go out on an expedition to find the make and model of the car I want to buy to peer in the cargo area to see if we thought the dog crate would fit. I found three cars, and I made Teddy look at all of them. One had a for sale sign in the window so it looked less weird for us to be measuring that one, with a measuring tape I brought with us.

I can comprehend that these things are RIDICULOUS and that I shouldn't worry about them, but that doesn't seem to make me stop. I also try and think about how lots of other people have REAL problems, like looking for work or having sick family members...but that doesn't seem to help me in the moment either. At midnight last night the most important thing in the world was how I'm going to get a license plate, and do I have to get one for NJ even though I'll be moving to AL one week later. DO YOU KNOW BECAUSE I STILL DON'T?

4 comments:

Hotch Potchery said...

Hey, at least I was happy about WATERMELON, not worrying about a license plate.

BUT, I think you have 30 days to get a license plate after you buy a car...here is the kicker though, there is something about the sales tax...ask the dealer. That is part of their job.

OH HA, now I get what you were saying about dog crates, I thought you meant it was okay to worry about the dogs on the crates on the commercial.

You know that saying that we are only given as much as we can handle? Apparently for US, after all the parental worrying we have done, our threshold is fairly LOW.

Shelley said...

Stressing over what can seem like small details is probably saving you from stressing over oh, I don't know, moving halfway across the country? You've got a lot on your proverbial plate now, and it's all very real.

I think when you buy a new car from a dealer they send in the registration for you, so you would end up with NJ plates and then have to buy your new ones when you get to AL, which would suck unless NJ's registration is really cheap. Keep track of all of your moving expenses (including this one, and the crate) because you can deduct them from your tax return next year.

Hang in there, it'll be over soon!

creative kerfuffle said...

i totally understand stressing out over what seems to be ridiculous things when in reality you have a lot bigger things to stress out over.
for example, i am stressing the hell out over what stupid color to paint the hallway right now. as if that's the biggest worry in my life. like it's a monumental decision that i won't be able to change. sheesh.
anything is better than what it currently is--orange for god's sake. yes, i let the hubs pick the hallway color several years ago and it is a gawd awful ORANGE!

DAVs said...

Ah, Penny, you crack me up.
I agree with the others, sometimes it's easier to worry about the little things (seemingly little) when you have so much going on.
Hang in there!