Tuesday, February 23, 2010

budget schmudget

One of the things we knew was a possibility when were discussing Teddy going back to school was that we may have less money. This has turned out to be a reality that I am really not doing well with. I think I convinced myself that the cost of living in Alabama would be SO much cheaper than in NJ it would all sort of even out.

Welllllll this does not seem to be working out for me, even though the cost of living IS cheaper here, I am making MUCH less and Teddy is only working part time. I am bitter and sort of in denial about the whole thing and I'm really going to have to get a grip. I feel like EVERYONE has more money than I (we)do and I'm just angry and jealous about it. We need to cut our eating out budget to only once a week, and I really need to work on my grocery bill. We are spending about 120-175 on groceries a week for a family of three. This seems like a lot to me. I buy mostly organic/natural products and that really drives the bill up. Does anyone have any advice on this? Does that number seem high to you?

I am angry we are going backwards in our life...It seems you should make more money over time, not less. I get that a lot of people are going through this same thing right now, I'm just saying I'm having a hard time with it. I really resent giving up lattes, and crappy doo-dads at Target. I want to be able to buy a 20$ shirt at Old Navy if I like it, but the reality is I just can't. I need to focus on the positive things in life and yet I'm pouting over not being able to go out and get coffee and frozen yogurt if I want to.

I will say that the time with our family has been great, so even knowing what I know now I would still choose to move here but, dammit I wish I could catch a break in this horrible job market and get something that paid a little more than Jesus crap fuck nothing. I'm just a little angry right now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hear ya. im having a hard time facing the reality of my life at the moment too. its not that i want to be unspeakably rich, but i just thought things would get easier as we got older. now it seems like a lot of the things weve worked so hard for, we're going to have to give up.i feel like we are taking steps back.

lastchanceivf said...

I hear you too. LC and I are always trying to find ways to 'find' more money, sadly b/c we have so many medical/other expenses...and lately we've resorted to selling some prized items (his vintage Vespa Scooter, boo hoo, though no one has bought it YET). If only Mr. LB would MAKE IT BIG! Har har.

As far as groceries, I only saw my bill go down when we gave up meat and diet drinks! But now we buy a lot of soy products and they're kind of pricey. Sorry I'm not help, but I say stick with the organic stuff, it's gotta be worth it.

You could totally get a job writing some snarky blog for someone somewheres...SERIOUSLY!

In the meantime, I hope you find a better job that makes you happy and rewards you handsomely!

Shelley said...

Sorry it's rough for you...it is hard when you can't just plunk down some cash without thinking about it or feeling guilty. Hope things improve for you on the job front - I get paid less than my 20 year old son, so I hear ya on the salary suckage!

creative kerfuffle said...

holy hell i'm feeling your pain right now. we've cut out a lot of things (don't go out to eat much at all any more; i pay more attention to the weekly grocery store sales/ads/coupons; etc.) i hate having to watch every penny. i hate feeling like i've worked for so many years to be in this spot--jobless and wondering if we're going to have to cash out everything we've saved for kids' college/retirement/future just to stay afloat. i feel your anger. oh, and the commenter who said you could get a job writing a snarky blog--yeah, i've tried that. people aren't actually paying other people to do that either : )

Meg said...

I know. I always compare myself to my mother at this age. She always looked so put together, and her house was so organized and fully decorated. We have our tv on a particle board stand, and I always look like hell. I keep waiting for that "look at me, I'm a grown-up who has her shit together" feeling. I'll let you know.

Not Your Aunt B said...

I couldn't even respond to your post, it hit so close at that moment that I read it. It's hard when you are used to x amount of income and you don't have it anymore. Initially, yeah, it is easy but when you're months into it is when you just get *tired* *whiney* and over it. I know because we waffle back and forth between being awesome about sticking to the budget and just hating it.

What we have done that is not awful (to us at least)- cut down on the organic food except for meats, milk, and the highly recommended fruits/veggies that should be organic (berries, tomatoes, etc). Planted a garden (not that it will help NOW but we saved a ton on veggies alone with that). Decreased meats- we still eat meat, but have 1-2 vegetarian dishes a week. Coupons. No one is buying any new clothes until summer.

I grew up poor so it's not horrible on me, but J (who was very much the opposite) is not liking it. It's just the times, I guess. I don't like that it feels like we're going backwards either. I just thought we would be in such a different place by now. If you figure it out, share with the rest of us!

Anonymous said...

My husband is out of work, so I know what you mean. I am older than you though, so the only debt we have now is our mortgage and worse case scenario, even after savings runs out, we can live on my salary.

It's funny, when you don't have money you want to spend it, and when you have money you want to keep it!

I am a grocery store geek - I routinely spend $90 - $100 a week for our family of three. Granted my daughter eats only granola bars for breakfast and usually has taco bell for lunch - so that's just for my breakfast/lunch and dinners for a week.

Do you meal plan? You have to meal plan based on what is on sale - obviously if chicken breasts are $4.99 a pound and pork is $1.99 you will make more pork dishes.

What grocery store do you use??