Wednesday, January 6, 2010

unrelated, except the part that is.

Let me start by saying that I was honestly SHOCKED at your comments on my last post. I ALWAYS assumed that thin people walked around feeling FABULOUS about themselves and those of us that were/are overweight were the ones walking around with big FAT issues. I think it is so sad that a bunch of women that I have envied for some reason or another go around feeling self conscious about how you look. Of course I am the big fat pot calling the kettle black because I do the same thing, BUT it was really enlightening to me that skinny people have body issues too (really). What do we do about this, and how do we keep the next generation from feeling the same way?

Oh and something I wanted to add is that I NEVER ask Teddy to tell me if I'm fatter/thinner or better looking than another woman because I KNOW he will lie and tell me whatever I want to hear. I think if I asked him if he thought naked supermodels were hot he would say "not as hot as you." LIAR.

*****************************

Last night I was laying on the couch talking with Teddy and I was telling him that I have certain triggers in my brain that no matter where I am whenever I hear a certain word/phrase I ALWAYS think (and depending on the situation sometimes say out loud) the same thing.


For Example:

Someone says "here is the situation"
I think: My parents just went away for a weeks vacation, and they left the keys to the brand new Porsche, would they mind? mmm well of course not! (I could go on and on)

Someone says "stop"
I think: collaborate and listen, Ice is back with a brand new rendition. something grabs a hold of me tightly flow like a harpoon daily and nightly (again, I could go on and on). Teddy disagreed and said if he hears "stop" he thinks "hammer time"

Someone says "who are you going to call?"
I think : Ghostbusters!

Someone says anything about anything being "hard"
I think: That's what she said!

******************************************

Teddy and I used to be very good friends with Teddy's middle brother (we shall call him John). Teddy and I even lived with John for several years while we were dating/married and I was actually friends with John before I met Teddy. John got himself mixed up in some DRAMA when he started dating Teddy's other brother's (we shall call him Paul) friend's wife. Got it? So Paul has a friend who is married, and then John comes along and starts dating Paul's friend's wife. Eventually the wife (we shall call her Yoko) gets divorced and marries John. Now John and Yoko have one kid together and one on the way.

Teddy and I tried to remain Switzerland on the whole thing and never took sides, because I think the whole thing is fucked up and I don't think anyone was totally right or totally wrong in the situation. We continued to be friends and then we went to visit them in April of 2008, after that we have not heard ONE PEEP from them in almost two years. We don't have any clue as to why and we have sent packages for our niece, mailed cards, sent emails, and left voice mails, and NOTHING.

Over the Holidays Teddy's parents mentioned that John and Yoko wanted to come visit over MLK Holiday. We thought nothing of it and assumed they were just humoring Teddy's parents. WELL, last night we get a message from John saying " Hey it's John. We want to know if we can come over the weekend before Martin Luther King Day. Call me back....well maybe not tonight, call me tomorrow during the day." Ummm what now? No mention of the fact he hasn't talked to us in almost TWO YEARS. What the fucking fuck?

I sort of want to TOTALLY ignore the call and stir up some DRAMA because Teddy's parents would be pissed (because they want to come too and have a big family reunion), but I told Teddy I want to take the high road and call back and just ask WHAT THE FUCK? What would you do?

5 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i think stop, collaborate and listen too--but don't know as many words as you do.
i am getting bad about the that's what she said thing--totally not appropriate w/ my 10 and 12 yr old. they of course laugh. sadly, the boy wants to say it all of the time, even when it doesn't fit (yes, that's what she said).
i have body issues, but then i'm fat so it's ok.
the drama---hmm...i don't know if i'd say anything over the phone, but i'd totally corner john when he got to my house and find out wtf. that is just bizarre, especially if you'd been close and had frequenty contact to go from that to nothing is fucked up.

Shelley said...

I would definitely ask John WHY they never acknowledged the gifts...and maybe that will open up a discussion as to what has been going on with the silent treatment.

I think of "Hammer time" too - all of them are funny!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Teddy should just ask John in a non-confrontational, casual way why they haven't been in contact for 2 years. Perhaps Teddy's parents know the story? That's a bit of time to have zero contact with someone and then want to come visit. I would want to know why they've had a change of heart- of course- it could surprise you and be inviting more craziness, but I'm always curious.

Ditto with the stop (both Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer), ghostbusters, and the office.

I think everyone has insecurities about their bodies. Whether it be their weight, bra size, facial features, etc. Weight is only one aspect of it- but if you're not where you want your body to be- it is a pretty big aspect. For me, it is because it is the one thing I can do something about (getting more toned) than say fixing my chin or neck (which would require surgery and I can't afford that!).

DAVs said...

Go DJ Jazzy Jeff and Vanilla Ice! That cracked me up.

That is major weirdness on your BIL's part. I'd want to just straight up ask where they've been for two years--like "we got this message and we sorta recognized the voice but not really...is it really YOU?"

Families. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're really just annoying. And yet I still really want one of my very own.

Anonymous said...

the john and yoko thing is very weird. i would definitely, at the very least, say something like , "wow, long time no see/hear. we thought you had died."

i can be kinda passive aggressive.

oh, and i almost always have "thats what she said" on the tip of my tongue.