Monday, January 25, 2010

He is just being 3

I think yesterday was one of my worst parenting days since my son was a tiny infant and I just cried all day. He was just...indescribable yesterday (although "turd" may have come up on facebook). He was wild, and mean, and hyper and just all over the place. He was throwing things at us, hitting us, and SCREAMING. It was just awful, and to top it all off we were stuck inside because of the horrible weather. We all went to bed last night feeling like shit, he probably felt worse after throwing himself into the bed in RAGE after we refused his bedtime story because he had thrown his bath toys at his dad and in doing so smacked his head into his headboard and gave himself a big knot and bruise. It was just the perfect end to the perfect storm of a day.

The other day my mom was over and Eli was doing something bratty and I was complaining to her about his behavior and she said "Oh he is just being 3" and I wanted to rip her arms off and beat her with them. I KNOW HE IS THREE. I know she was trying to be helpful and trying to let me know HE isn't bad, it is just a bad age, but I just can't stand those little cliches when I'm trying to vent. I don't know what I want to hear, but it isn't "he is just being three."

Teddy and I stayed up after Eli went to bed last night and we were talking about how ridiculous it is that a three year old can enrage us (and to make Teddy mad takes A LOT) and how I can lose my patience and yell like a child and how at the end of the night I am exhausted but mostly my feelings are hurt because dammit I revolve my ENTIRE LIFE around making you happy and then you spend the day treating me like shit? HOW DARE YOU? Oh, I know it is because he is just being three....

7 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

When you're having a shit day all you really want to hear is "I'm sorry." So I'm really sorry.

And just to add to it--I always tell Mr. LC all the time that as parents, people work and work and work to make their kids lives wonderful and they won't even have super clear memories of all of this--but of course it DOES impact their lives and one day he'll get it that you guys are the coolest parents on the block.

How about a nice, long run?

Anonymous said...

ugh...im sorry. ive had these days. many of them.

(this is horrible, but it was after one particularly bad parenting day that i made the abortion joke i previously alluded to...as in, "dammit is it too late to just have that abortion?!" i know, its horrible, gallows humor but at the time it made me and jay chuckle.) i apologize in advance if that offends you or any of your readers.

Shelley said...

Oh man, how I remember those days...and wouldn't wish them on anyone. Sorry it was such a rough one - can a 3-year-old have PMS?

Not Your Aunt B said...

Don't you wish you could push reset? Cheers! Drinking does help take the does help take the edge off.

creative kerfuffle said...

um...mmm (debating about whether to tell you this) it doesn't get any easier, it's not just being three. mine have days like this. and i too look at them like they've sprouted horns and wonder--what the hell? i make so many sacrifices for you, you have so much, our lives revolve around you and you are being a bitch/ass? really? yeah--i get that pissed sometimes too. in the back of my mind the only shining light is that some day perhaps they will have kids and they will be treated this way and call me to complain and i will laugh in their faces : ) ha

Hotch Potchery said...

I am sure I have said the 3 thing to you as well, and you are right, I say it so you know it isn't really him, or really you, it is just a weird age...where you are so in love with him one minute and the next you could hand him to a stranger and feel GOOD about it.

Wow, he must have been awful to not get his story...hopefully today was better, and if not, at least the school ladies had to deal with him during the day...not you.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be 3!!! (BTW, I'm a firm believe that being 3 sucks!)