Thursday, June 17, 2010

I am good at parenting.

A YEAR ago I wrote a post about the trifecta of parenting for our family. They were as follows:

1. getting rid of the pacifiers
2. potty train
3. big boy bed.

Luckily #3 was really not that big of a deal, and we shall never speak of #2 again, but it is done (and actually has been done for a long time now). I am embarrassed to admit we just got to #1 last Friday. Eli will be 4 in two months. Shut up.

Oh it has been hell for all of us. He is not sleeping, we are not sleeping. He is cranky and irritable, we are cranky and irritable. I know I should have dealt with this A LONG ass time ago, but it was a hard thing for ME to do. I was a thumb sucker until I was like 9 (OK FINE 12) (FINE just because my sister reads this 15). It was HARD for me to stop, and pretty much once I stopped sucking my thumb I started smoking...so that really filled that gap.

Please remind me of this (kindly, because I am sensitive) if I ever have another kid with a pacifier addiction!

This is a video as much for me as it is for you. I need to remember that my tiny baby is an adorable kid and not just a huge pain in the ass!






Untitled from Penny InExile on Vimeo.

Do you recognize the song? Extra points if you do!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first few nights without binkies were always hard around here too.

my 5 1/2 year old still wears diapers to bed becuase of her nightly 'accidents'. every time i buy diapers i tell my myself, "maybe this will be the last package of diapers i buy...."

lastchanceivf said...

I do! I do! (recognize the song that is, but I don't think I should get extra points for it). Absolutely adorable--right up there with "watermelon" which we still talk about. I think we'll recruit Steamboat for the video for that song, actually.

And as someone who still sleeps with her blanky, I can't really say much about the pacifier. I mean, my blanky is nearly 36 years old and it's basically in shreds but COME ON! It's my blanky.

Meg said...

Still got a 4yo (okay, she'll be 5 next month) who sucks her thumb. We had whittled it down to bedtime, but I've caught her sneaking like a junkie lately. AND she just gave up night-time pull-ups about 2 weeks ago. Have I started potty training the twins? Nope. For obvious reasons. Jonah gave up his paci during hand/foot/mouth disease, just pure luck, and Gabby still has hers. I like it when things happen without my interference or effort, which is why we are such a freaking mess all the time. See? You can always count on me to make you feel better about these things. We are the lowest common denominator, always.

Meg said...

Oh, and of course we know that song! I don't think we get points either, though :)

Shelley said...

He's such a cutie! My kids are old (but I am not, wink wink) - I don't recognize that song.

I went from thumb-sucking to nail biting - I was about 7 when I did that. I am such a softie that I wouldn't worry about the paci if he's only using it to sleep. But my kids are grown and gone (sob!) so that could be part of my "let them stay little" stance, lol.

lastchanceivf said...

Mr. LC suggests giving Steamboat a cigarette in place of the paci.