Wednesday, January 13, 2010

company

So my argument with John was completely anti-climatic! I decided that you guys were right and I needed to take the high road, but I most definitely wanted to know what the deal was. I called John back and after telling him yes we have missed him, and yes they can stay at our house, I confronted him about not being in contact with us. You know what his answer was? DO YOU? When I asked him WHY he hadn't responded to our attempts to contact them in TWO years he said.........WAIT FOR IT.....he said "I don't know. I guess I didn't realize it had been that long."

I tried to argue...I tried to bait him, and I tried to tell him how much he had hurt our feelings, and I thought we were FRIENDS and NOTHING. He would barely even respond to me which made it a terrible argument. Teddy's family are HORRIBLE at confrontation. I'm serious, I'm not sure if you could meet people who were worse at it. They avoid it at all.costs. It makes me nuts, because I like a good healthy confrontation. I honestly don't mind arguing, I could go as far as to say I like it. I'm talking about arguing, where two people who each have a different side intelligently debate, not fighting which I think of as screaming and yelling.

So anyway, they will be here on Friday and what I actually wanted to tell you about is how nuts I am about company, and I'm wondering if it is normal. I remember when I was a kid one of the things I just hated was anytime my parents had a party every thing had to be PERFECT. Every mirror had to be cleaned, every blade of grass had to be manicured, every doo-dad in our house had to be run through the dishwasher and it made everyone crazy. Well guess what, I do the same thing now.

I have to have all the linens washed, the kitchen has to be spotless, the lawn is being mowed as I type, the bathrooms have to be scrubbed and every surface must be dusted. The dog even got a bath in preparation for company. I actually once told a friend of mine my sick secret. While I'm doing all of this cleaning and preparation I imagine my company *thinking* "wow, her house is so clean!" and it makes me feel so awesome. In my imagination they don't even say it out loud they just think it and I still feel so PROUD.

I know it is crazy. How do you deal with company?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sounds AWFUL, but i hate company, unless its someone that im totally comfortable with. i like company that isnt weirded out if the cat walks into the living room and coughs up a hairball in front of everyone.

(are you starting to understand why its difficult for me to make friends in real life?)

i like to argue too so i woud have been totally pissed by johns reaction. how dare he?

Not Your Aunt B said...

I clean like that for only certain company- in-laws, friends, cousins. I DO like that they're wowed by how clean the house is with 2 little kids & working too.

For people that know me, know my kids, know our busy schedules, they just get the house (my family and close friends). But, then, our house is pretty much always clean because of my cleaning OCD. In fact, your cleaning may spur more cleaning this afternoon!

Shelley said...

I'll admit to cleaning like crazy AND organizing every cupboard, drawer and closet...like the company is going to do a complete inspection, lol! Glad to know I have company (haha) in this!

As for John's reasons why? One word. MEN.

Hope you have a good visit with them!

DAVs said...

Shelley is spot on: men. How someone can't know it's been two years since talking is beyond me.

As far as cleaning: yes yes yes! That's me! I will start doing things like re-organizing the silverware drawer and wiping down the front of the kitchen cabinets and cleaning our floor to ceiling windows...and this is on top of the regular cleaning. As if anyone can tell...
The only people I don't do that for is our good friends S and C, who come over so frequently I could never get it all done every single time. Plus, they REALLY could care less.
In fact, the first thing S does is pick up our dog Pablo who sheds like a mother. She loves him and loves to pet him madly and I watch as tufts and tufts of dog hair start flying around my newly vacuumed floor (because I definitely do my regular cleaning before they come over) and it's all I can do not to say PLEASE NO! NOT THE DOG FUR!! and this is after Mr. LC brushes the poor dog until we think he has no fur left to shed.

OK, that was a long comment. But I am obsessive about cleaning and I do like every.single.thing. to be just so..including new soap in every shower/vanity and brand new toilet paper rolls even if only a few squares are gone.

creative kerfuffle said...

i think i have to agree w/ everyone on the john thing and chalk it up to him being a guy. i do hope the visit goes well though. as for the cleaning, for me it depends on who is coming to visit. and even then i am not nearly as anal about it as the hubs is. dude is much like you in that regard. he wants to clean the carpets, dust the walls and ceilings, etc. he comes by it honestly though because his mom was like your's. he says they used to have to clean stuff w/ toothbrushes and paint certain rooms etc. OCD to the max.

Hotch Potchery said...

I have my moments where I freak out about the baseboards mainly...ask my kids.

Anymore, I just don't care as much, there are so many more things I want to do, and I lost my slave labor when the kids moved out.

Json said...

Great site you have here. I came across your site from another site. I have a blog myself which I hope will be a top resource for those looking to find the motivation to lose weight.

I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. Please let me know if this is possible under our "Best Weight Loss Websites" page. Until then, keep up the good work!

Jason
4Weight2Lose.com