Monday, March 8, 2010

funk, in it.

I have been purposely ignoring my blog because honestly it is such a downer. *I* am such a downer! I tend to go through cycles of being UP and happy and being DOWN and hating everyone and their stupid ass faces. Yeah, you probably guessed right now I'm in a down cycle (but I don't hate you or your stupid ass face, your AWESOME!).

I really didn't think I'd still be working my crappy hourly job 3 months later. I really thought I'd be in something more stable and better paying by now. I am trying to stay positive about our current circumstance but it is hard, and I'm having a rough time.

I did do some much better planning and shopping this weekend (although I still spent 152$). I made a trip to WalMart (I know) and we bought a lot of our weekly staples that are cheaper than at Kroger (specifically Kashi cereal that I eat for breakfast every.day and Kashi bars that my husband takes to work with him). We bought ground turkey on sale at WalMart and we had taco salad for dinner last night and when we were cooking the turkey, after the seasoning had been added, I stirred in a can of pinto beans and a can of black beans to stretch the meal out over two days!

Here is something that is really bugging me too ...our current budget is pretty much down to the dollar and in the last week I've had one intern ask me for a donation for her Alternative Spring Break Program, one co worker ask for a donation to her Jerry's Kids charity, my boss ask for a donation for a lunch we are having for a volunteer that is leaving, and I'm going to two baby showers in the next two weeks! AGH. My regular charities are sending me sad letters and I'm just feeling like shit over it.

The good news is the weather is beautiful today, we are all fine and healthy, and we have food to eat and a roof over our head! I'll be done wallowing soon, until then feel free to move on to someone who doesn't make you want to punch them in the neck.

8 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

You are completely allowed to be in a funk. It's hard going through what you guys are going through, and we'll forgive you for the Walmart trip :) Do you know I came across someone the other day who's last name was Wolmart? I felt immediately sorry for them. Oh the torture.
At any rate, very good idea on adding those cans of beans--and so delish, too. I still owe you some recipes/meals, I haven't forgotten.

I hate getting hit up for all the donations at work too--everyone where I work has kids selling stuff constantly, and so these poor parents are schlepping into my office with these sad little catalogs of crappy candles and such and I always feel like I have to get something, and then I never go ask for charity stuff for my charities b/c I don't have a good tag line like "Little Suzy is trying to raise money for her soccer team's new uniforms!" or whatever. Anyway...I think you can gracefully say thanks but no thanks on stuff like that.

And I really really hope you find a better job soon. There has got to be one out there...
Maybe you could start a boot camp? I swear, you're a fitness inspiration!

Anonymous said...

you shouldnt feel bad about not giving to charity right now. im sure you'll make up for it when you can. dont beat yourself up. and when peta and the hspca send you letters with very sad looking animals on the cover, dont even open them, just toss them in the recycling bin. when your time comes around again, and it will, there will always be a need, and im sure you'll be ready and willing to help.

oh and lastchanceivf: Wolmart? horrible. horrible. i cannot even begin to imagine.

Hotch Potchery said...

This time nine years ago, Mr. P was working for $10 an hour after just completing his 5 year professional degree with no benefits and he STILL bitches about it, so funk away while you feel it, and for years after, if you are anything like him.

I know it is hard to believe, but this PhD time will FLY by and then you guys will be set and you will actually look back on this time fondly. (In 6 weeks, it is 1/4 over already.)

Remember, charity starts at home, so take care of you first!

(I am sure I misused that saying to fit my purpose, and I know that someone saying that everything will be okay, is the last thing you want to hear so feel free to interpret my whole comment as EVERYTHING SUCKS ASS AND WILL FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE)

Not Your Aunt B said...

HP cracks me up. Just tell them no thanks for the crappy catalog-y cheap but cost an arm gifts and explain that you have certain charities you regularly donate to for the charities. Or say they have to donate to the Penny Is Tired, Suckers (PITS) charity.

Mmm...taco salad. Sounds so good! And ew, ew, ew! You went to walmart! That is one place were I can't go for the discounts because being in the checkout line for an hour is not worth it.

Anonymous said...

Yep, rant all you want - that's what we are here for!

I thought of some recipes for you! I know you've done your shopping already, but let me know what you think of these:

Buffalo Chicken Chili (mildly spicy)
Chicken with Red Beans and Rice
Spinach Lasagna
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

Sending huge hugs your way!!

Okay, now I want a taco salad!

Hotch Potchery said...

Did you get recipes for Buffalo Chicken Chili? and Spinach Lasagne? and Broccoli Cheese Soup?

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on this blog today - check it out if you have a chance!

http://cuttingbackkitchen.blogspot.com/

Hugs!

Nishant said...

really hope you find a better job soon. There has got to be one out there...
home based data entry